Toasts and speeches are an important part of the wedding ceremony. Learn what makes a good maid of honor speech and how to deliver a memorable toast.
What Is a Maid of Honor Speech?
A maid of honor speech is a speech delivered by the maid of honor or matron of honor at a wedding reception. The maid of honor, who is usually the bride's best friend, sister, or a female relative, helps with wedding planning by leading the bridal party and organizing the bridal shower and bachelorette party. The maid of honor is also responsible for delivering a maid of honor speech at the reception, which should be brief and celebratory.
The maid of honor's wedding speech typically includes anecdotes about the bride, compliments on the groom, and best wishes for the newlyweds. Only family members are sometimes chosen by couples to give speeches at the reception.
How Long Is a Maid of Honor Speech?
A typical maid of honor speech lasts four minutes. All wedding speeches and toasts, according to expert wedding planner Mindy Weiss, should be brief.
What Is the Order of Wedding Speeches?
Traditionally, the speeches and toasts at a wedding reception begin with the father of the bride or the bride's parents following the meal. Following that, the groom's father or parents can make a wedding toast. The maid of honor's speech is followed by the best man's speech. Following those toasts, any other members of the wedding party, such as bridesmaids or groomsmen, may make remarks.
Maid of Honor Speech Outline
Writing a moving maid of honor speech can be nerve-racking, but you don't have to be a professional speechwriter to do it. To make a maid of honor toast, use this template:
Begin with a story. Tell us about how you met the bride or groom. Share a special memory or a funny story about the two of you. Discuss your friendship, why you've been friends for so long, and why you love them.
Celebrate the couple. Concentrate on the happy couple and their love story in your speech. Remember how they felt when they found out they had met. Remember your first impression of the bride or groom and how you knew they were meant to be. Share your thoughts on why you believe they are a good match and what they have is true love.
Offer advice and well-wishes. Share any advice or well-wishes you have for the happy couple. You can even share love quotes.
Toast the happy couple. Finally, ask everyone to raise their glasses and toast the newlyweds on their special day.
6 Tips for Writing a Maid of Honor Speech
The maid of honor speech is a significant component of the maid of honor duties. Follow these guidelines to deliver a flawless maid of honor speech:
1. Incorporate some levity. To help engage the audience, add a joke or one-liner to your speech. Avoid inside jokes that need to be explained and adult humor.
2. Maintain a positive attitude. The maid of honor speech should be upbeat and lighthearted. In your speech, avoid saying anything negative about the couple.
3. Keep it brief. A maid of honor speech should be brief and to the point, lasting no more than three to five minutes.
4. Rehearse your speech. Allow yourself enough time to write and practice your maid of honor speech before the big day. Offer to say a few words at the rehearsal dinner for extra public speaking practice.
5. Express yourself honestly. The best maid of honor speech is one that comes from the heart. It is more important to be genuine than to try to impress everyone.
6. Make use of note cards. You do not have to read your entire speech word for word, but writing your speech (or at least bullet points) on note cards can help to calm your nerves. Between glances at your cards, make eye contact with the wedding guests and newlyweds.