If you like pumpkin bread and banana bread, pumpkin banana bread combines the two. Make mini pumpkin banana bread loaves with canned pumpkin purée and ripe bananas.
What Exactly Is Pumpkin Banana Bread?
Pumpkin banana bread is made with mashed bananas, pumpkin purée, flour, salt, baking soda, and sugar. To rise, quick bread uses a chemical leavening agent, such as baking powder or baking soda, rather than yeast. With the addition of pumpkin purée and pumpkin pie spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg, this loaf-pan bread is the perfect fall treat. Pumpkin banana bread can be customized with add-ins such as chocolate chips and cranberries.
Four Variations of Pumpkin Banana Bread
Consider making the following pumpkin banana bread variations:
1. Cheesecake pumpkin banana bread: To make cheesecake pumpkin banana bread, fold cream cheese into the batter. Sweeteners like maple syrup and cinnamon sugar are popular toppings for this sweet quick bread.
2. Chocolate pumpkin banana bread: For added sweetness and flavor, add chocolate chips. Pecans, pepitas (pumpkin seeds), and dried cranberries are also popular additions.
3. Gluten-free pumpkin banana bread: Almond flour or other gluten-free flour can also be used for gluten-free diets without sacrificing flavor.
4. Vegan pumpkin banana bread: Vegan pumpkin banana bread is a type of banana quick bread that is made without the use of animal products such as eggs or dairy. Instead, ingredients like vegetable and coconut oil, vegan butter, and nondairy milk like almond, soy, or coconut give this sweet treat a rich, moist crumb.
6 Pumpkin Banana Bread Tips
Pumpkin banana bread can be customized with ingredient substitutions and mix-ins. Consider the following tips when making pumpkin banana bread:
1. Increase the number of bananas. To moisten the bread, bakers can add more mashed bananas to the batter.
2. Freeze for later enjoyment. Quick breads keep in the fridge for about five days, but if you plan to eat it later, wrap it in foil, place it in an airtight container, and freeze it for up to three months. Unwrap it and place it on the counter to thaw until it reaches room temperature.
3. Prepare mini loaves. To make individual treats, spoon the pumpkin banana bread batter into mini loaf pans or muffin tins.
4. Gently fold in your flour mixture. Excessive whisking of the wet and dry ingredients can result in dense bread. Stir just enough to ensure there are no dry spots in your batter, but don't overdo it.
5. Check the bread with a toothpick to see if it is fully cooked. Remove your pumpkin banana bread from the oven and insert a toothpick into the center. The fork should be mostly clean, with a few moist crumbs remaining.
6. Make use of overripe bananas. The best bananas for banana bread have brown spots and are soft to the touch. Allow frozen bananas to thaw completely before mashing.